Specifically written by Anne as an accessible introductory guide to Ayurveda, Discover Ayurveda with Anne McIntyre is packed with information conveyed in a relaxed and easy-to-understand style for those wanting to dip their toes into this incredible body of ancient wisdom.
As well as the written work there are practical exercises to do at home and delicious recipes to integrate into your culinary repertoire. So, if you can’t tell your doshas from your gunas, and if prakruti and vikruti are a mystery, then this course is for you!
Discover Ayurveda with Anne McIntyre is a gentle introduction to Ayurveda combining nine unique online lessons, with five monthly Zoom calls with Anne and your fellow students. Specifically written as an accessible introductory guide to Ayurveda, this course is packed with information conveyed in a relaxed and easy-to-understand style for those wanting to dip their toes into this incredible body of ancient wisdom. As well as the written work there is are practical exercises to do at home and delicious recipes to integrate into your culinary repertoire. So, if you can’t tell your doshas from your gunas, and if prakruti and vikruti are a mystery, then this course is for you!
‘All forms of herbal medicine – whether they are Western or Eastern – are holistic, which simply means that we don’t treat symptoms: we treat people. Although Ayurveda may be an ancient system of healthcare, its principles are easily applicable to our hectic modern lives. I have seen this time and again in the patients I have successfully treated and I also hear it in feedback from my students. This is why I am so passionate about spreading Ayurvedic knowledge as far as I can – if we can learn to apply Ayurvedic principles to our busy lives, we have all the knowledge and tools we need to live sustainably and in harmony with both ourselves and the world around us.’
- To open a door to the profound system of Ayurvedic knowledge acquired over thousands of years and yet still relevant today.
- To guide you to a deeper understanding of yourself and your individual health patterns.
- To introduce a comprehensive system of preventative and remedial healthcare for you and your family.
- To give a taste of Ayurveda for students considering enrolling in Anne’s longer Explore Ayurveda course.
- To provide yoga students and teachers with a complement to their classes and practices.
- To give you practical advice about the right foods and herbs for your constitution to keep you healthy and happy.
The course is online only, with five blocks of lessons which are released month by month. Each month students will study the current lessons in their own time before a 3 hour Zoom call with Anne to consolidate their learning. Independent study each month will be approximately 8 hours, plus the 3 hour Zoom call.
The content for Lesson 1 is available in March 2023, one month before the first Zoom call in April 2023, and the content for the next lesson is released the day after the Zoom call. Each Zoom call is recorded, and the latest recording will be available on the website.
For a more detailed breakdown of the lesson please scroll down.
The Zoom calls are on Wednesdays from 14.00-17.00 with a short break.
TBC March 2023
TBC April 2023
TBC May 2023
TBC June 2023
TBC July 2023
Who is this for?
This course is a fantastic learning opportunity for many different groups of people:
- It offers an introduction to Ayurveda for anyone who wants to understand themselves better and get to know their constitution
- It offers an introduction to Ayurveda for anyone who wants to pursue a healthy lifestyle for themselves and their families
- It is for yoga students as a complement to their yoga practice
- It is for anyone interested in finding out about the healing wisdom of Ayurveda and learning about its practical tools
Total price for online access and Zoom calls: £450
Students are expected to have studied the lesson before the Zoom call so that everyone can get the most out of the call.
Once you have finished the course you will be awarded a certificate of completion which is equivalent of 55 CPD hours.
Please read our cancellation policy before booking.
An Introduction to Ayurvedic Concepts
- A brief history of Ayurveda and an introduction to its essential features.
- Understanding the basics of Ayurvedic philosophy, anatomy and physiology.
- The five elements.
- The three gunas forming the building blocks of the universe.
- The three doshas that manifest in different constitutional types.
- The twenty qualities.
Prakruti and Vikruti – Discovering your Constitution
- Learn more about the different constitutional types (doshas) and how keeping your doshas in balance is the key to health in body and mind.
- Determine the basic constitution you were born with (prakruti) and your current state of balance and health (vikruti).
- Have some fun with our dosha questionnaire!
Digestive Fire – Agni
- Discover how the cornerstone of health is good digestive fire, or agni.
- Discover the different types of agni.
- Look into the different stages of digestion and their relationship to the doshas.
- Take a look at key Ayurvedic herbs and spices to help keep your digestive fire healthy.
- Learn how health problems are related to low digestive fire, causing accumulation of toxins known as ama.
- Take a look at the role of ama in the development of health problems.
- How to clear ama through herbs and dietary guidelines.
- We take a look at how the food we eat is converted into the dhatus – the tissues that make up the structure of the body.
- Discover how the final stage of metabolism is the creation of ojas – our energy, vitality, immunity, fertility, longevity and joie de vivre.
- We also look at the srotas – the channels that carry nutrients to and waste products from the tissues.
The Importance of Taste
- An introduction to the 6 tastes of foods, herbs and spices.
- Learn how these tastes have specific effects on body and mind, including our emotions.
- Discover how the 6 tastes affect the doshas and how to balance your constitution by selecting herbs and foods based on their tastes.
Balancing the doshas
- Understand how the doshas can become out of balance.
- Advice for balancing the doshas, including diet, herbs, exercise and meditation.
- Delicious recipes for balancing each dosha.
- Take a look at some renowned Ayurvedic herbs and spices to balance each dosha.
- Tips for balancing all three doshas.
A Guide to Ayurvedic Detoxification
- Why do we need to detox?
- When is the best time?
- What Ayurvedic methods can we use.
- A look at the three stages of detoxification.
- Recipes to support your detox.
Keeping Yourself Healthy
- The importance of preventative health.
- How to live in harmony with our environment and keep ourselves as happy and healthy as possible.
- How to incorporate the wisdom of Ayurveda into your daily life through dinacharya.
- How to maximise and conserve our energy and longevity by increasing our ojas through the Ayurvedic approach rejuvenation, rasayana.
- Discover some amazing Ayurvedic techniques to replenish your energy and rejuvenate you.
Full payment is required at the time of booking – places on a course are only reserved when full payment has been taken.
The course outline given is indicative and we reserve the right to change this content to give you a course of the same or higher standard.
If you have to cancel you will be issued with a credit note that can be used for another course within the next 12 months.
If exceptional circumstances prevent you from attending in the future, please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org.